Friday, November 03, 2006

Citizenship, here I come


Crazy/interesting/bizarre stuff I've discovered en route to passing my UK citizenship test today:



  • It's perfectly acceptable to sue for divorce from your partner in the UK if they don't want to breed

  • Hereditary peers no longer have the automatic right to attend debate at the House of Lords

  • The UK parliament has the right to dissolve the Irish Assembly at will - and has done twice already since its inception

  • The entire canal network in Britain was dug mainly by Irish labour

  • The Commonwealth is second in member size only to the UN

  • I'm expected to know more about British life than any average Brit to become a Brit


The last point - and a £34 test fee and £10 study guide - aside, I find that I don't actually begrudge the process. I have learned some pretty interesting stuff that will stay with me, and read a lot of trivia that has already, no doubt, evapourated.

No comments: