Friday, May 06, 2005

The shame

Barking is a BNP stronghold.

There. I said it. It's true. In the final count, Barking has the highest proportion of votes for this practically neo-Nazi party of any constituency in the UK. In fact, they came very close to being the 2nd party after Labour in the count, losing it to the Tories by around 100 votes. Eeep!

It does make one stop and think. What the hell am I doing here? I belong in one of the constituencies that swung LibDemwards, goddamnit! That's it. I'm moving to Richmond like all my friends.

Seriously, it's quite a bizarre result, if I simply look around at my neighbours. The old fussbudget across the way has been voting Tory since her parents were born. My terrace neighbour is an Indian primary teacher. My street neighbours are a household of Nigerian immigrants. Who the hell is voting for British Nationalism here?

No comments: