Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Next stop: Tai-Pei

I had the most disorientating experience this morning. As I arrived at Bayswater station, and was climbing the stairs to the exit hall, the tannoy come on with a general announcement. Not too unusual, you might think, except that the announcement was in Chinese or Japanese! It stopped me in my tracks as a cold shiver went through me. I actually felt the hairs on my arms fluff out as my brain insisted that I accidently disembarked in Kyoto. The short circuit only cut out when another announcement followed, this time in Spanish, and my common sense kicked in just enough to rationalise the presence of a foreign language1 on MY station. Weird moment, though.

1heavy foreign presence on Queensway due to plethora of youth hostels in the area

No comments: