Thursday, March 22, 2007

Eurovision 2007 warm-up

After last year's Lordi victory, I'm more than a little curious about this year's contest. Just how many people will copy them to try replicate their feat?

Well, all entries were finally posted to the Eurovision site today, so I took a quick gander. As it turns out, only one country (Switzerland) went all the way down that particular dead end, but there do seem to be far more rock-y entrants this year as a result, which is not a bad thing necessarily. There are, at my count, SIX girly symphonic rock entries, very reminiscent of the like of Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, so I'll get my fill of eye candy at least. Israel are coming in with a very tongue-in-cheek political comedy act, and Denmark's Drama Queen will probably garner quite a few votes for its completely Cabaret feel.

I'll be voting for Georgia, though. I knew that the instant the first few bars of the song played. It may not win - in fact, going by previous contests, I would judge it too good to win, not enough cheese - but it's just so musically fine that I would feel remiss supporting anything else. Sopho (Sofica) Khalvashi has a lovely, lovely voice, and the wonderful tempo contrast in My Story between her melody and the musical counterpoint gives me goosebumps.

But don't take my word for it - listen for yourself! You'll see...

No comments: