Sunday, January 15, 2006

Superb Saturday

I'm not the most exciting person in the world. Or even the UK. Or London Barking 28 Meadow Road, for that matter. So a day of museum and movies, while not high on the list of adrenalin fixes, really floats my simple grey boat. I got to wander around the British Museum, visiting both the Americas and the Mesopotamian and Nile regions, and then swept myself away to the wide prairies of Wyoming and the streets of Kyoto, in Brokeback Mountain and Memoirs of a Geisha. I learnt that Bastet had a sister called Sakhmet, with the head of a lioness, who visited destruction on mankind at Re's request, that Inuit clothing had enlarged hoods to carry their offspring in, and broadened shoulders to assist in feeding said offspring (although I still don't know how), that it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go as long as you like the direction you're moving in, and that even the smallest kindness is a candle in the night of a hopeless life. If a day is wasted if no memory is made, I reckon I'm insured against at least a week of amnesia.

1 comment:

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Sounds like a grand day to me too. I loved the Geisha book, am looking forward to the movie.

Re broad shoulders: I'm guessing that's to make room for breastfeeding babies under the coat.