Friday, January 12, 2007

Cookie monsters

It's quite astounding just how many cookies try to make their way onto a pc in an average browsing session. I'm not too bothered by the occasional cookie designed to assist me in logging in or saving a selection, but the hordes of advertising trackers and browsing habit loggers can be quite overwhelming. I was particularly bemused, recently, to have Firefox warn me that Barclays wished to install a cookie called useraccesstracking. No prizes for guessing what the cookie is for. Why would I want Barclays to know what my login patterns are? That's right - I don't!

Switching your automatic cookie handling off and manually authorising - or not - each and every cookie that hurls itself at your PC is an exercise I can heartily recommend, even if only for a day, to acquaint yourself with the hidden machinations behind the innocent facade.

No comments: