Monday, January 22, 2007

Jury service suddenly seems daunting

Particularly relevant to me in light of my approaching jury service, Channel 4 ran a pseudomentary last night - Consent - dramatising the proceedings of a 'typical' UK rape trial:
Innovative recreation of the judicial process, which aims to bring viewers as close as possible to knowing how a real rape trial works. The film begins with a scripted drama, in which an office party ends in a rape claim. The action then shifts to a real courtroom setting, in which real barristers, solicitors and a real judge and jury debate the fictional case.
It struck me that it is quite possible that I might have to sit in the jury box and watch a verdict being delivered that I simply don't agree with. I don't know if I could endure watching someone go to pieces over losing their claim when I think they're in the right. Suddenly the responsibility of the service has struck, and now I find myself hoping that if I am called at all, it'll only be for the most trivial, obvious verdicts. At the same time, I'm chastened by the knowledge that it is pure cowardice that drives the desire. It's all moot, I guess, since the process is ostensibly totally random and I have no way of influencing my exposure either way. So I'll do my avoidance thing and entertain myself with Charles Stross' take on the whole matter instead.

No comments: