Monday, February 27, 2006

Technical exercise

Noun phrase. Act of practical training for its own sake; to hone a manual skill. E.g. replacing a perfectly functional battery on an ipod.

After letting the new battery charge overnight, I checked it yesterday morning to make sure it had taken a charge - it had - and then attached it to Zara's laptop expecting it to synchronise completely and correctly. It started just fine but, within 15 minutes or so, the battery indicator on the screen was showing 'empty' and it had barely cleared the first 1000 tracks. On the verge of despair, I cancelled the transfer, ready to declare it a short on the circuit board and advise Zara of the need for a new player. Then I noticed that the ipod had retained the tracks transferred instead of losing them. I had stopped the transfer before it had powered down, so it was able to write the track list to the hard drive and save the tracks.

Relay transfers were in order. Three charge-and-transfer sets later, and we're finally up and running. Huzzah!

A little web browsing gave the reason for the problem. The write cycle on the ipod is quite power-hungry and synchronising a 20Gb music database from scratch takes too long on an unpowered port for the battery life of the ipod. It's not a problem on a day-to-day basis, where you've added at most 1 or 2 cd's to your list, just when you're attaching the ipod to a new database. I wish I'd discovered that before dismembering the damn thing.

1 comment:

ScroobiousScrivener said...

Re your 30 Boxes: I was just about to ask what this "Great Age Gathering" was about. A moment later, I was going to ask why you weren't including my birthday in your calendar.

No joke.